Please note that the Musikwoche starts on the 9th of December.
Dear Friends of the Swakopmunder Musikwoche,
Welcome to the Swakopmunder Musikwoche 2019! Despite of financial difficulties and losing our organisation director (Ailly Namupala left Namibia for a 5-year contract in Doha, Qatar), we are happy to inform you that in the end we have managed to put together a Musikwoche 2019. Christiane Berker will be organising the Musikwoche this year.
It will be quite different to the usual Musikwoche experiences you have enjoyed so far, and we were forced to make some cuts, but we felt it was more important to have a Musikwoche, even if it is smaller, than to cancel the Musikwoche for 2019.
These are the changes:
- The Swakopmunder Musikwoche will only last for six days this year, starting on the 9th of December at 8:30 and finishing with the final concert on the 14th of December.
- There will only be ONE concert on the 14th of December, including the Youth Orchestra.
- We will unfortunately not be able to host a Big Band this year due to cuts in the number of lecturers, so everyone joining the Musikwoche this year will have to decide if they want to play in the Youth Orchestra or the Grand Orchestra or sing in the choir.
- There will also not be Ensemble work as such, as we will not have an Ensemble Concert this year.
- There will also not be an Open-Air concert this year.
- By reducing the concerts, we feel that we can still oblige to our mission statement: “the provision of a music education service for all learners and educators of Namibia”. We will have five full days to focus on making music together and after a dress rehearsal on Saturday morning, we can surely present another fantastic concert to our audience.
- There will be no ticket pre-sales, tickets can be bought at the evening box office on Saturday.
We are very happy to have Cornelia von Kerssenbrock back again as musical director. She has fully recovered and can’t wait to enjoy six days with the theme “Let’s Go to the Opera”. She will also conduct the choir, with the two assistants Eslon Hindundu and Osmond !Owoseb. The Youth Orchestra will be in the capable hands of Hendi Krog and I hope to list the other lecturers very soon on this website, so keep looking!
Registration will hopefully start by the weekend, as soon as we have set up the online form, and we do hope to see all of you again this year in Swakopmund.
Waiting for your registrations I remain faithfully yours in music
Christiane Berker and the Musikwoche Team