For several weeks now rumors have been spread by emails and word-of-mouth alleging that the committee has maliciously expelled the choirmaster of Musikwoche 2014 from this year's jubilee. This has triggered numerous people to attempt to destabilize the Musikwoche and damage our reputation in and around our community.
The committee refutes these allegations and wishes to state the following:
1. Unfortunately, during the Musikwoche 2014 some issues have arisen that due to time constraints could not be resolved immediately and in such a way that all parties involved could have peace of mind.
2. The correspondence between the committee and the choirmaster subsequently led to mutual misunderstandings and hurt feelings on both sides about these issues which eventually resulted in a shutdown of communication. The Committee of the Swakopmunder Musikwoche sincerely regrets this development of events.
3. The committee wishes to stress that the choirmaster's unselfish and excellent work for the Musikwoche for many years is held in the highest esteem. The committee wishes to mend relations with the choirmaster and remove any obstacles so that he can join the team again in the foreseeable future.
4. The committee welcomes all participants and friends of Musikwoche to give it their support to resolve all outstanding issues. We wish to sincerely thank everybody who has stepped forward to contact the committee and keep rumors in check.
5. The committee is obliged to its participants and thus has to ensure that all lecturer positions are filled. With the above-mentioned issues still unresolved, the committee resolved to contact Professor Dr Andre Thomas of Florida State University. His university has only last week granted him leave to join our lecturer team as choirmaster for 2015. Thus the committee can guarantee all its choir members that they will be able to enjoy master classes with a renowned and internationally well-known lecturer.
The Swakopmunder Musikwoche always has and always will consider the suggestions and constructive criticism of its participants and in the past has implemented many wishes of participants into the Swakopmunder Musikwoche, when and where it was possible. We explicitly encourage our participants to voice their recommendations and reservations, and we will make every effort to consider and integrate them – after all, our participants are most important to us!
This year we are celebrating the 50th jubilee of the Swakopmunder Musikwoche! The preparations have already started and we will keep you informed about all additional events throughout this year in support of the extra funds we need to raise for the jubilee.
The dates of the 50th Musikwoche are as follows:
Participants can collect their starter packs on the 11th of December, the church concert ends the Musikwoche on the 20th of December at 12 o’clock.
Registration will start towards the end of July.
We are busy re-designing our website, therefore no videos and pictures of 2014 have been posted yet. Please bear with us a little longer…
We look forward to an exciting year and lots of support from all of you…
Christiane and the whole Musikwoche Team